PRETOMA is a Costa Rican non-profit NGO founded in 1997. We are a marine conservation and research organization working to protect ocean resources and promote sustainable fisheries policies in Costa Rica and Central America.
Costa Rica has an image as a conservationist country. Indeed there are many positive laws and regulations on paper in Costa Rica. However, marine conservation is very far behind land conservation here, and furthermore, many of the positive laws and regulations that do exist go unenforced.
As a result, we direct our efforts in the following categories:
- Direct in the field conservation projects
- Research and outreach onboard commercial fishing vessels
- Public awareness and education
- Litigation and policy advocacy
- We have conducted a public campaign against shark finning in Costa Rica including gathering 80,000 petitions urging the government to ban this practice.
- We constantly gather and publish data on sharks and sea turtles including in satellite tagging studies as well as studies on capture of these species in the national longline and shrimp fishing fleets.
- We have ongoing outreach programs with the commercial fishery sector to introduce practices and devices (e.g., TEDs and “de-hookers”) which mitigate impacts on non-target species.
- We maintain direct conservation projects to protect sea turtles and their nests on beaches on the Pacific coast (over 170,000 sea turtle hatchlings protected).
- We conduct year round public awareness marine conservation campaigns as well as education programs in schools, high schools and universities.
- We work directly with the Ministry of Environment and the Costa Rican Congress and regularly file lawsuits against government agencies such as the Fisheries Institute and Customs Department when policies promote unsustainable exploitation of marine resources.
- Please support our efforts to protect marine resources in Costa Rica and promote sustainable fisheries policies.
If you are interested in donating to PRETOMA or would like more information about our organization and projects please contact us. GRACIAS!